Saturday, November 17, 2012

Day 22 ~ Good Bye, Twinkies! Good Bye, Job!

a stack of Twinkies
Here is a picture of a stack of Twinkies that will never make it to the supermarkets.  We heard today that Hostess Brands, baker and distributor of many products like Hostess Cake, Drakes Cakes, Wonder bread and a lot others, is ceasing operations as of Saturday.  So these Twinkies are just sitting there. They will probably be grabbed by the employees who show up today to get an Information Packet which the company has put together. Basically, that packet explains in "Question and Answer" Format (much like a catechism), what happened to the company, what the next step should be for former employees, ect. 

The depot is an hour away from my house and I don't think I am going to make the drive to pick it up.  I am going to ask the mechanic to pick my packet up and I can meet him at his house. He lives closer to me than the depot plus he is gong there today anyway.


deep in thought
My job was to sell cake. I was a route jumper which meant I had to cover vacations and sick calls but when no one in the cake department was out, I would occasionally run a Wonder Bread route. That's what I did yesterday. My last stop in my route jumping career was at the Pick it Deli  in Old Bridge, where I sold my last piece of Hostess Brands, product.  They received 27 Classic White breads, 8 stone ground wheat bread and 5 whole grain white breads.  Their last order. So if you like wonder bread, run up to the Pick it Deli and get it while you can!  The above picture was taken while driving back to the depot with an empty truck; Empty forever!

Rest in Peace, Hostess Brands!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jim

    I saw this on the T.V last night I am sorry to hear that this company is going out of business. There was talk about it at the bank today. As you can see we don't care about banking be care about what we are going to be eating for lunch. :) However, are you going to be loosing your job because of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, sadly, i no longer have a job and join the ranks of the unemployed.

    ReplyDelete