Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 33 ~ My first Job Fair!

This is what I look like before I go to the Job Fair!
Here I am all dressed up, ready to go to my first Job Fair! I don't have a sports jacket but with my long sleeved shirt and tie, I look professional enough, I think!

Diego getting out of his truck in the Church parking lot.
My Friend, Diego who I know "in the route sales business" and from my church told me about the Job Fair. We decided to drive together. We met at the church parking lot and drove up in my VW bug all the way to Edison, NJ where the Fair was being held from 5pm to 7pm.

Diego, looking all professional
We arrived very early which is what you should do when you are looking for a job so we had time to sit around and talk. My brother Ray once got hired for a job just because he arrived one hour early for the job interview.  The boss was so impressed by his enthusiasm that he hired him on the spot!

Dennis, better dressed than me but I didn't hold it against him!
My friend, Dennis, who was also a Hostess Brands route salesman met me at the Job Fair. Even if I didn't make any contacts with employers at the fair, it was worth going to Edison just to see Dennis again!  He makes me laugh. I am going to miss working with him.

People walking around begging for work!
The whole evening was beneficial in that it gave me hope that there are jobs out there. I just need to find the right one for me. Thankfully, with unemployment insurance, I can afford, for a while, to be a bit picky. Last night, of the eleven companies who made presentations, I talked to four representatives. I got further information from them and will weigh my options.I know, sooner or later, I will get a job!

See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Job fairs are always fun! You get to meet a lot of people and take home lots of freebies. It’s actually one of the few occasions where you can make the best impression to a company outside the interview. Channel your charmful self and put on a show for the hiring agents! And even if you didn’t get the job, at the very least, you know they’ll remember you. I’ve been to a few and I always enjoyed the event.

    Stacy Crownover

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your job fair experience was positive. For me, all of the "employers" there were either offering commission only positions or job opportunities that required money from me. I guess i just like traditional jobs!

    ReplyDelete